For those of you not following the story - we have had a referral for the adoption of a baby boy in Russia since February. We were originally supposed to travel to meet him in April (trip 1 - Russia requires at least 2 trips, with about 8 weeks in between - the adoption is "final" on the second trip) and due to a combination of issues with our agency (outside their control), the US government, and the Russian government, we still have not been on trip 1. At the earliest, trip 1 will be in October, but no one is feeling very optimistic, least of all me.
We're so conflicted about this. Our family feels very complete with Alexa, but I so much want her to grow up with siblings. There is a baby boy who is waiting in Russia for us. He's already older than we had hoped - Alexa came home at 13 months, our referral is already 15 months, so at BEST he would be 18 months old when he came home. The older he gets, the less comfortable we feel due to issues that become more common with children the longer they are institutionalized in orphanages. We signed our application to adopt in early 2007, when circumstances in our life (and Alexa's age) made another adoption perfect - and we had the (perhaps overly confident) expectation that it would take about the same time as Alexa's - 10 months start to finish.
Adam and I keep saying that if we were in a blind adoption region and had no referral information, we would at this point make the decision to stop pursuing the adoption. But it makes me so sad that we feel we already know this little boy just a little, and we were so looking forward to having him become part of our family.